About Me

My photo
Bookish. Publisher at Louise Walters Books. Reader, writer, and editor.

Friday 29 March 2013

Spring cleaning

Or should I say late winter cleaning? Either way, Ian and I have had a good go at the house today.We even washed the net curtains. Cleaning always turns to "going through" things, with a view to getting rid. Neither of us are hoarders, but in a household of seven it's easy to become cluttered. We periodically give/throw away toys, clothes, DVDs, CDs, and ... books.

I used to keep them all, but in the end I realised I had far too many, so I toughened up and filled a box or two. It was surprisingly easy to do and now I have no compunction. I always take them to charity shops, which makes me feel better. I now welcome the extra space on my shelves for, well, new books. One thing I will never do is stop buying them :)

My TBR shelf, pre-sort out. Books now ensconced on bookshelves proper (apart from one which is in a bag destined for Oxfam) 

Do you get rid of books? Or do you keep any and every book you have ever owned? How does giving away a book make you feel?

PS, in my last post I talked about Black Narcissus by Rumer Godden. It jumped right to the top of TBR pile! I couldn't resist and it was a truly wonderful read, highly recommended if you like literary, quite short, simply but beautifully written, subtle stories. The descriptions are so evocative and the characters subtly drawn. One of my very favourite writers. And this book has a very "modern" feel, despite being written in 1939.  I must now watch the film, which I've not seen.

Happy Easter. Let's hope the sun shines!






4 comments:

  1. I always feel great when I've decluttered, but sadly my books are usually the last thing that I sort through to get rid of.

    I haven't read Black Narcissus, but the film is great and terrified me when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Louise

    I never used to throw out my books, but the garage became so full of boxes of them that our car couldn't fit in. As you say, when you pack them off to a charity shop you actually don't miss them. The great stories stay in your memory. I always save my favourites though and of course, when you give some away - you can replace them with new ones!!

    Ange xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Louise, my answer to that is that after a lengthy cooling off period, I try very hard indeed to give them away. I like nothing more than to give away a book to someone I know will read it - do like to share the love and it's one of the reasons I'll always prefer print to kindle - but I also like to keep them as reminders of happy time spent reading and to remind me of what I'd recommend when people ask as I can NEVER remember titles. Writing this down, as I realise it sounds ridiculous. Off to package up a large amount of books for the charity shop...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't sound at all ridiculous Jackie. I always keep those special books that I am fairly sure I'll want to read again x

      Delete